View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Did the officer show up to work unshaven in his pajamas with his eyes half-shut (or is it half-opened)? I highly doubt it. I can't for the life of me see why anyone would even entertain the idea that the department was somehow partially responsible for this. People do 12 hour shifts all the time without falling asleep 4 hours into the second shift. The blame lies completely with the officer, imho.

THat part is all about money. This is the theory of liability.

I am sickened by what happened. But I have fallen asleep while driving before, and I suppose I was neglgient but I certainly didn't think so at the time. But for the grace of God or by good luck I didn't kill anyone. THis deputy was on duty and fell asleep. It was tragic. It is horrible. IF (note, that is a big if) he is incarcerated for 12-24 months, I do not think that is a mere slap on the wirst. GIven his level of improper conduct (going to work while tired) I think this is about right. As much as I hate to say it, and as sad as the accident makes me, and as sensitive as I am to the risks of the orad and the need to make drivers resposible (remember, I have been commuting about 3-4 times a week) I just don't see how more punishment would fit this crime.