View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #32
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
So do you let Hannah Montana in? Or just counterbalance it by your example? Do you watch it enough to know the content? I've never actually seen the show, although I know it's everywhere. What are the objections you have? How do you counterbalance them?
While I have great personal distatse for the disney shows, I tend not to ban things from my house unless they are clearly over the line. If ind the problems with the Disney products much like those you sem to feel about Snow white. They are an insidious influence that undermiones some of the values I hold dear. To be more precise, I think they tend to encourage a sense of entitlement, discourage hard work, show disregard for the timportance of family (other than in a tidy wrap it up at the end of an episode way) make parents look stupid, and the music is really bad.

AS others pointed out, however, kids get this in genreal from a lot of sources We try (and have tried) to teach good prinicples, to expose the kids to better quality materials and to emphasize the good and quality wherever possible. We limit TV in gerneral and prohibit anything that sems too violent or too sexually explicit, but do not ban much else. As with all thignsd, the rules and guidance changes in scope and focus depending on the age and capacity of the child.

To tel you the truth, if I was smart, I would probably not have a TV.