View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Its hard to say for sure what the best HR for any person would be. A lot of it depends on their age, fitness level, and goals. If you are doing climbing intervals, then the goal would be to elevate HR above your lactate threshold. If you want to build climbing endurance, you should keep your HR is bit lower, likely 5-10 bpm below LT.

Last night, it was a relatively short ride with a couple of recovery days to follow, so I was able to crank up the intensity a bit. On Saturday, I am doing a climbing endurance day, so my plan is keep my HR down to 162-167 for at least 2 of the passes that i'll be doing, and possibly go past LT for the third.

On the dehydration issue, I think you are right. I couldn't get enough water in me all evening, so I'm sure I was a few quarts low, making my heart race like a jackrabbit.

Thanks bluegoose. One more question, how does one figure their lactate threshold?
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote