View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #49
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Good thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I think life is a test, but there is a different answer key for everyone. We will be judged based on how we responded to our given "itenerary" as you put it. There is no way a just God could hold that starving kid in Africa to the same standard as you (Mormon middle class family in your own words). But that doesn't mean we won't all be judged. Where much is given, much is required has a corollary. Where little is given, little is required. I firmly believe that.
Do we know how "much" and "little" are defined? I probably assume I know what that means (economic, family, religious, etc situation). But as complicated as this world is, (imagine how many variables, what kind of equations would it take to model this earth) it's probably impossible to really know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Take me for example. Some of you know I grew up in foster care and then a children's home. My life was figuratively (if not literally) "saved" by a retruned missionary houseparent at the home where I lived who introduced me to the gospel. I also had the benefit of a saintly Christian grandmother who was a powerful influence in my life from the very earliest years (she was the one who talked me into going on a mission and paid for it for example). Not the best childhood for sure, BUT, I did join the church when I was 15, went on a mission, married in the temple, etc. There is no question in my mind I will be held to a much higher standard than my peers at the home where I grew up who did not have those influences or perhaps someone from a similar background who joined the church at say age 35 and didn't have those opportunities at such a young age. And I imagine there are those where even more was given (LDS family, etc.) who will be held to a higher standard than I will.

Mullahs tend to be really into justice and say things like "well yes God is merciful but he is also just". Flip that on its head and tell me how God could be considered just if that starving kid in Africa is held to the same standard as the son of an Apostle.

Justice requires that we be graded on a curve.
As to being held to a higher standard, I don't know. That assumes that one experience is not equivalent to another. Who is to say there are not critical lessons to be learned from experiencing failure, failure due to lack of initiative, not seizing the day, being lazy, etc.
I think god knows exactly what he's doing. One day it will all make sense.
I was driving out to the where we keep the horses this afternoon and I saw the same bum that I see every day, in the same place, walking down the road. And it made me wonder what lessons are in his itinerary. An itinerary much different than mine, but equally crafted with love by a god who loves us both equally.

I think we're graded on a curve as well, but I don't think it's a gaussian. I think it's y=1.

Fascinating topic.