View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Thanks master, says the student.

This Greek stuff is hard. First to recognize it and then to acquire sufficiently large enough vocabulary. Then balancing it with other languages plus job, hobbies and kids. I don't know how you smart guys master the ancient languages.

I have read though now some of Plutarch, some Homer and significant chapters in John. Not bad for an autodidact, but not great either. Ionic Greek is much harder in that the dependent clauses and contract verbs are abundant. They also use some of the dual forms as well. Attic and Koine are much easier for the novice. Is Liddell and Scott the best Greek lexicon?
Every Greek teacher I've had uses a version of Liddell and Scott. Obtaining the "Great Scott" has been regarded as the moment when you officially arrived; I have a Middle Liddell, myself.

On the original question: context is pretty much the only way to figure it out, yeah, unless there is some special use, such as the independent uses of the optative (potential and wish), or if it is in a conditional clause.