View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
That's the point ... the 'invention' as you call it did not exclusively originate in the Mediterranean -that's woefully miopic!

And we don't discuss various other traditions -which is intellectual bigotry!

HISTORY
- (from the GREEK historia = inquiry) as a written, rational inquiry into the reasons things happened DID start in the Mediterranean, probably with Herodotus in the mid fifth century BCE. I'm not talking about accounts of the past. I'm not talking about lists of achievements or tribute. I'm not talking about divine transmissions of human relationships with deity. I'm talking about history as the application of human reason to understanding the human condition, independent of religious explanations, independent of authoritative "official" versions. This DID originate in Greece.

Rationality, in my opinion, is the crowning achievement of the ancient Greeks and their greatest gift to humanity.

Rather than refute this with accusations of ignorance and bigotry, I invite you to provide counter-arguments - preferably supported with concrete evidence and examples. We at least owe the Greeks as much.