View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #22
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
No,I don't disagree. I am not sure about the 2 week idea, however. I thoght I recalled that the body sloughs off the excess cells pretty quickly, which is why the nordic norweigan skiers had to transfuse so frequently a few years back in the olympics. Is this not correct? IOW, the boosted effect is very short term, althogh I suppose some fo the cells could be around for a long time.
Check out this article on VeloNews: http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/12924.0.html. The doctor who wrote it says the red blood cells last up to 120 days, and suggests tests after 60, 90, and 120 days to help determine that it was, in fact, someone else's blood, and not the 'vanishing twin'.

I wasn't initially surprised with Vino's showing in the time trial, which is when the suspect blood was drawn. Past years have shown some inconsistencies, but he's always been a fighter. Interesting that he had a really bad day, then a really good one, which is reminiscent of Landis last year. I was a little surprised that no one here mentioned the similarities. (Not surprised that Liggett & Sherwin didn't mention it, though. Nobody wants to bring that up again.)

I would still like to believe Landis got jobbed by the Frenchies, given how hard he's fighting and how poorly the lab seems to operate. The notes I read about the arbitration case made the lab people look like idiots. Personalities really shouldn't have anything to do with it, either, but Dick Pound seems to be a total jerk and it would be nice to see him put in his place. If I were a rider on the Pro Tour, I would be extremely hesitant to sign their anti-doping oath, since I have no respect for their lab work or scruples.

A sad day all around.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote