View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The story on Craig Jessop

His departure has a facinating story. Jessop used to report directly to President Hinckley. Following Hinckley's death, President Monson decided that too many people reported directly to him, including Jessop, so he had them report to an intermediary (probably good governance).

I can't confirm for certain, but I am reasonably confident that Jessop was asked to report to President Packer.

The week before Jessop quit, the choir had three black soloists perform during its broadcast in a bit of a revivalist theme. That was on a Sunday. On Thursday, Jessop told a small group of the choir that they would need to meet for a special practice on Saturday morning. On Friday, Jessop was told to meet with the person he reports to. That meeting clearly did not go well.

On Saturday, Jessop never showed up for practice. On Sunday, he didn't show up for the choir's 8 am practice prior to the broadcast. He also didn't show up at 9 am for the broadcast (and it was his turn to conduct for the week). Nobody heard from him on Monday.

On Tuesday, the choir held practice, and he showed up, walked straight up to the stand, read his resignation letter, and walked straight off. On Wednesday, all references to Jessop were removed from the choir's website.

I have heard that the Friday conversation involved a discussion about how the choir should only sing songs that were written by Mormon's "inspired of the Lord." It could have been precipitated by the Sunday performance of a gospel variety.

Since the new conductor took over, the choir, almost without exception, has performed only church hymns. This is a big issue with Pres. Packer, so it would confirm my suspicion that he is the intermediary Jessop met with.

If so, it is sad. Mormons may have the gift of the Holy Ghost, but to act like they have a monopoly on inspiration is naive and insulting.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote