View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
It's because men have the "Unnecessary Work Detection" gene and women don't. If true work needs to be done then I'm the first one in line. If it's stupid useless work then I'm never going to show up and help. Women just aren't born with the Unnecessary Work Detection gene and thus spin their wheels on all sorts of useless stuff like tablecloths and centerpieces for activities and tablecloths and flowers for their RS lessons. Of course, everyone has a different definition of what unnecessary work is. My personal defintition breaks down as follows:

Necessary Work
-----------------
- Welfare assignments (with the exception of Deseret Transportion truck washes - hire some homeless people to do that one)
- Responding to requests to give blessings or calls for help when people truly need it. Helping people move when they haven't planned, packed, or otherwise taken any effort beyond calling the EQP at the last minute does NOT fall into this category
- Maybe some other stuff every once in a while but I can't really think of anything else right now.

Unnecessary Work
--------------------
- Staffing a nursery while the RS entertain themselves.
- Helping out in any activity where the main purpose is for people to entertain themselves. This primarily includes stupid social crap like Linger Longer and Break the Fast and the ward pancake breakfast and all that stuff.

I expect to do my share when the work involves more than simply entertaining ourselves. I have zero interest in the social activities that the church puts on and I certainly don't think that lame cultural bullcrap such as "Linger Longer" has anything to do with the mantle of the priesthood or the expectations of God.
The problem goes far beyond babysitting during linger longer (which I hate but which serves a purpose for htose lingeriong longer, or so my wife says). It goes to the way a ward is run and how assignments are given. Have you never heard osmeone say women are more spiritual than men? Many men abdicate their role as spiritual leaders becasue they are not expected by others or by themselves, and maybe not even by their own wife, ot be a spiritual leader. This goes directly to how households are run, the examnples that are given to children, how marriages work, etc. Men fail to step up where they should and fail to be the rock they are supposed to be, even though they usually expect to receive the same respect and other benefits of their male status. If this were limited to Linger Longer issues I might agree that it is not that big of a deal, but I find that the Linger Longer situations you are talkking about are simply the easiest to spot symptoms of a much deeper and serious problem.

I would also quibble with your assignment of social events and decoration to the unecessary category in all instances, but I think that detracts from my larger point here.