View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In a culture obsessed with perfection, an awkward gay Mormon teenager in Utah must feel like one of the most imperfect people on earth.

True or false?
True I would think. I think there is a struggle that a lot of young LDS guys go through from the time they are mid teens to mid twenties. Lots of guys simply follow the plan and serve a mission, go to a church school, and get married. There are lots, however, who can't or don't serve a mission, have to come home early, then struggle to fit in. Or maybe they struggle to find a spouse and struggle to fit in.

Then for the most part I believe they realize how many other people there are like them and their world isn't quite so upside down any more. The process, however, of figuring out where you fit when you aren't in the expected mold can be very tough. But at the end you reach an equilibrium for the most part.

If you are gay, not only are you going to have your world go sideways, I'm not sure there is any equilibrium to be reached that includes a temple worthy life. I have gay cousins on both sides of my family tree who are RMs. One male and one female. I know that we say that this is just a cross for them to bare and that they shouldn't have intimate committed relationships that are homosexual. This has always had the ring of truth to me in theory. And yet, I think those here who are pointing out that in the real world people simple don't choose a celibate life and the equilibrium they ultimately reach almost never includes the church are right.

I don't know the solution.