Thread: Diet tips?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is what i have done i am down roughly 75lbs since November for myself and 50lbs for my wife.

1. High protein diet, i eat lots of beef jerky (original is the best, the others have a lot of sugars and more carbs than you would think), chicken in the can, tuna, chicken breast (i eat at least one of these a day, grill up the george foreman takes about 5 minutes total.) egg whites.

2. Low Carbs- i try to stay away from white breads, cereal, sugar, and anything else high in carbs. A few things we do eat that still have some carbs, carb control tortillas, whole grain or wheat breads and my wife still loves total cereal.

3. Calorie control- like Meanie said if you watch your calories it will help with your carbs. I read that your daily caloric intake if you want to lose 1.5lbs a week is your body weight multiplied by 7 but not to exceed 2000 calories. This has worked extremely well and it is not hard to figure out.

4. Excercise- i lift weights at least 4 times a week and do at least 30 minutes of cardio (usually more) 3 times a week. Be sure to try and mix it up as much as possible as it can become boring and hard to stay on track. I switch up my lifting workout every couple of weeks as well.

5.Think before you eat- this may sound stupid but before i go out to lunch, or make a snack, before i do anything that involves eating i think about it, for example if i am going to go out to lunch with a few guys from the office, i will think of a place that has something healthy and will ask if it is alright if we go there, no one ever seems to mind. Also if you are going to make something to eat at home dont just open the fridge and stare you are more likely to grab something you dont want, so plan on what you are going to eat before you open the fridge.

6. Cheating is not a bad thing- I have never splurged and gone crazy, however if you go completely cold turkey and say that you will never have a piece of candy again the chances are slim that you are going to stick to it. Their is a reason you need to lose weight my guess is self control is not one of your strong points. So eat that piece of candy then when you work out go for an extra minute or two.

7. Set goals- I am a strong believer in goals in all aspects of life, but especially in weight loss. Dont just set a general goal, like i want to lose 30 lbs. Set specific date/time goals for when you want to lose it by, and what you are going to do to lose it. Also break the goal up in to smaller parts. For me i had one "check point" on March 1st, my next one is June 1st. The ultimate goal seems very unattainable if you look at it all at once, but if you break it up it is very achievable. Make sure however you set realistic goals that can be reached.

Now that i have written a novel on weight loss, take it for what its worth i still have a ton of work to do, but this is what i have been doing and its worked very well.