View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I asked my brother-in-law about this today, as he is a Sheriff's Deputy. He has seen the video on youtube and told me that the officer was a jackass and didn't need to do what he did.

Matt (my BIL) said that the trooper didn't have to tell the guy how fast he was going and that the best thing he could have done was to write on the ticket that the guy refused to sign the ticket and let the guy be on his way. When the judge would see that the guy refused to sign the ticket, the driver would have had the book thrown at him and there would have been absolutely nothing the driver could have said to make it better for himself.

Both parties were dickheads, according to Matt.

I like this assessment.

The cop may not have been legally required to tell the guy how fast he was going, but every time I've been pulled over for speeding the cop has told me by how much I exceeded the speed limit. What's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly
What is the cop supposed to do if he won't sign the ticket? Let him go on his merry way?
Like Il Pad's BIL said, not requiring the the guy to sign the ticket does not mean you let him go scot-free. The cop has the entire incident on tape... why does the driver signing a piece of paper change that at all?

The guy was a jerk, but the cop had nothing to lose by letting him drive off, except for his pride. Tasering someone in the back is just wrong. If the guy is advancing towards you, maybe the use of a taser is justified, but the cop's safety was not in question.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote