View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The Washington post has done a good job of covering the Prop. 8 campaign. Here is a SL Tribune reprint from the Post that is a fine summary of the motivations and thought processes that led especially Blacks and but also Latinos to support the measure.

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10925501

There isn't a line in the article that doesn't bespeak the same old enemy of progress. Not a line that does not bespeak retrograde attitudes.

I wonder if the African American woman who cited the Bible to her husband as justification for her vote knows that this was the primary moral authority cited by Confederates as support for their enslavement of her ancestors. I bet not. There's nothing here that a little education won't cure, and I'm thinking gay marriage proponents ought to redouble their efforts to bring the best educational resources possible to LA's downtrodden masses.

That's the irony. The same movement of secularization that grew out of Entlightenment and became entrenched in modern times, that freed the slaves, that brought forth the Civil Rights Act, that killed Jim Crow, that gave Barack Obama a chance as good as you or I have had to be president, that same revolution, is now behind the gays, and was wounded by its primary beneficiaries on November 4. As ML King said, the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. Gays and their supporters need to keep doing what they've been doing for centuries now, and they can't lose.
How many blacks and latinos chose to be black and latino? There is a difference. They probably have also seen the disintegration of the traditional family up close and don't want to add fuel to that fire.

BTW........didn't Florida ban gay marriage as well. With no Church involvement? Where's the outrage and protests there? Because the Church is an easy target and it is true. People hate truth.