View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
When I got to high school it was VERY obvious and showed in playing time who had been playing football for longer and who hadn't. 5 or 6 is usually the earliest that you can start them, but if they are going by age 10 they'll certainly have an advantage over kids who start in High School. Good coaching also helps a ton, teaching kids proper technique and fundamentals, as well as basic formations, plays, terminology, etc.

I can't wait for kids to start playing football. I've even considered volunteering with my old man to coach some youth football back home, if that's where we end up.
I think what you are saying is only true for offensive skill positions where I agree, eperience makes a difference.

I can tell you that in my highschool program, which was and still is one of the top few in Virginia, many MANY players (including me) never played before highschool and were at no real disadvantage IF they had physical ability and were wiling to put in the time. As I say, I never played a snap before and was suiting up for varsity by my sophomore year. Those who know me will attest to the fact that while I have good size and decent athletic ability, I have certainly never been a great athlete by any measure, though I worked myself into a very good highschool player.

I can also say that by my senior year I was worn down enough physically that I had decided not to play in college (I got some interest from Division II and the Ivy League). My body might not have been cut out for it, but I don't know that I think it is good to start the process of battering the body any sooner.

It is a personal choice and there may be good reasons to do it, I'm just saying that having an advantage at the next phase is not necessarily one.