View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I agree, but the famous quote has lead people to other interpretations:

“I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; But I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me—he was murdered in cold blood.” (B. H. Roberts, A Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 6 vols. [Salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1930], 2: 248 - 249.)
I think it's important to consider the current atmosphere and level of tolerance towards Mormonism as compared with the level of intolerance at the time of Joseph Smiths' martyrdom ... How many Christians in this country are willing to accept mine or your testimony of Christ as valid, and that of a true disciple of Christ? Are evangelicals not on the offensive with Mitt Romney for even suggesting his faith in Christ is in any way Christian? Pat Robertson, today, endorsed Rudy Guliani for president.

We all like to think there has been progress made in regards to tolerance … but is it increased tolerance or is it merely increased indifference? He died because of his testimony of Christ and NOT despite it.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote