View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2126557

I didn't read HB's comment, but this is what I was pounding the pulpit about when we were considering Bronco as a head coach two years ago.

He lost at Oregon State. That was an interesting year for Bronco. He was hired at OSU as a position coach underneath Rocky Long, the DC, who had a decent defense going. Then Rocky got promoted (UCLA?) and left. Bronco was promoted to DC. Without Rocky, his D sucked, and he was canned in one year.

Bronco then kicked around with a cruddy La Tech team. A prerequisite to coach at BYU if you're not connected to Lavell.

Bronco hooked back up with Rocky at UNM and fielded good defenses. But they still never had much overall success.

We all know Bronco's BYU's teams before he got the head job.

Bronco has never won. He's never been mentored by a great head coach on a great coaching staff. He had never coached for a team that had a good offense. He's never been affiliated with a winning program.

I've been with good companies and bad companies and had good bosses and bad bosses. I thought I always knew how to run things when I would get the chance, but until I worked for a good company and a good boss, I didn't really understand.

This doesn't mean Bronco's going to fail, but it was a major risk for BYU admin to make that hire (assuming that a winning program was even their intention at the time of the Bronco hire which may be a faulty assumption).

Despite Indy's inadequate response, this most definitely is a major issue for BYU and for us as fans.

The reality is that he was the best BYU could hire. That is what BYU really is as a "program." Kyle Whittingham was far more qualified, IMO, and he really wasn't that great of a pick up for the Utes. The fact that after what they accomplished they were left to their own DC says a lot about their program and the fact that he chose Utah over BYU says a lot about BYU's.

I also agree that tutoring is overrated. However, the ability to improve and adapt are not. Bronco needs 8 wins this year and then I think 2008 will basically tell us what the guy can and will do.