View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I have been follwoing this with some interest. These gals have made the decision to stick their middle finger out at country music fans anew, rather than just move on from the issue (which I think they could have done by just letting it drop and getting back to just making music.)

Clearly they have so much money that they can afford to do whatever they want, and what they want is to keep the controversy going. It is either brilliant or career suicide, but it is not he easy path. The other interesting dynamic here is that they are not getting radio play, but in the age of downloading (they are the #1 downloaded album) it doesn't seem to matter. They are bypassing the eastblishment.

Anyway, part of me wants to see them succeed because the country music establishment IS a joke as is most of the music right now (see the Bill Board charts for "Honky tonk badonk a donk" and "Tequila makes her clothes fall off" for examples of the forumlaic crap that turned me off.) On the other hand I think Natalie Maines is incredibly immature and that observation has nothing to do with the content of what she is saying, so I wouldn't mind seeing things back fire on her.

All that said, they got my ten bucks through itunes. I will continue to be interested in how this unfolds.
There is some really great stuff happening in country music right now. You just aren't listening to the right stuff.

Check out Kasey Chambers, Gillian Welch, Loretta Lyn, Calexico, Iron and Wine, Emmy Lou Harris, The Be Good Tanyas. If you think country is snoozing you must be listening to the wrong stuff. Country is on fire, and that isn't even scratching the surface of the alt.country movement (of which I know next to nothing... except I like Wilco, and I hear there is a lot going on).

Pirate some of this music. You won't be sorry... except when you are burning in hell for stealing. But at least your ipod will be full, so hell won't be so bad.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote