View Single Post
Old 03-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #40
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyacoug

I have said no such thing. I have never stated that the LDS church should not take a stand on homosexuality, or even homosexual marriage. I have said that they should not lead efforts to establish legislation which codifies the church's position on homosexual marriage.

The church "compels" acceptance of its position when it does everything within its power to make its belief a matter of law.

Not only have we been on the losing side of legislation, we have been on the wrong side of many moral issues. That is to be expected, as the church is run by imperfect, though inspired beings. Given our past experiences, I would think more caution would be in order here.

I do find it ironic that most LDS people are much more opposed to polygamy today than non-LDS people. In this very thread, some have said that we cannot accept homosexual marriage because it could then open the door to polygamy. I tend to think polygamy is much more harmful to a society than homosexual marriage is, but the LDS position on the topic today is light years away from where it began.
Your argument is baseless, the Church is doing what it can to preserve marriage and to limit the degradation of family. You want it to not push legislation, but you have no problem with other groups to push legislation.