View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 AM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have to agree.

Growing up in the church, testimony meeting and sacrament meetings in general were filled with miracle type stories. This just is no longer the case. At least not with the normal membership. I think for the most part it is due to the brethren making an effort to tell us not to share really spiritual experiences except with family etc...

Let's face it though, many of the folks who share these experiences nowadays are on the crazy side. Let me just share 2 such experiences that were told over the pulpit last Sunday. The first was a man who told us that he forgot to buy gas on Saturday and needed to drive 60 miles on Sunday. He said his tank was empty but he prayed and the Lord told him he'd make it. So he drove the 60 miles on nothing but spiritual gas. Then, (here's the kicker) he says he made it and "when I filled up, the tank held 2 more gallons than the book says it could, it was truly a miracle". It was all I could do to contain my laughter.

The next story was shared by a gentleman who has a penchant for dramatic testimonies. That, and he is certifiably insane. He got up to tell us that had the Lord not protected him when his tire blew at 60 mph his car would have flipped and all inside would have died. He said "I know that the Lord and Joseph Smith protected me that day." Bottom line, I think the Brethren are right on this issue. Better to keep your miraculous stories in the family.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote