View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #43
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
But your desire to express outrage at institutional racism requires a climate wherein heterodox views can be freely expressed. And where we can accept a multitude of viewpoints without feeling threatened. I.e., a "big tent" church. It seems to me that a proponent of such an idea would be last one to criticize Mitt for being non-orthodox regarding polygamy.
One of the main differences, is that much of the rejection of the past is motivated more by embarrassment. Does Mitt Romney have doctrinal problems with polygamy, like I have doctrinal problems with the ban? I doubt it. Rather, he is *embarrassed* to stand before Babylon.

Am I embarrassed by the racism of the leaders in the 1800s? Yes, a little. But I also understand that they were the product of their times, in a much different era. I am MUCH MORE EMBARRASSED by current church members who use racism to justify things.

Joseph Smith was a heretic. A rebel. Unabashed. Bold. Revolutionary. Confident. He didn't parse his answers so as to most fit with the contemporary Christianity, like we see when we see half-truths or evasions in church press releases or on Larry King.

Where did that spirit go?

When my friends and colleagues have asked about polygamy, I don't apologize about it at all.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote