Thread: Pedal Question
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
mattbikeboy

mattbikeboy is on a distinguished road

I for one never liked Eggbeaters -- I bought a pair a couple of years ago to go on my bike for a trip to Europe so I could walk around without my road shoe cleats taking a beating. By that time I had been riding clipless pedals for more than 12 years -- and I fell more in the two months I had those on my bike than I did in the previous 11.5 years. Eggbeaters brass cleats wear quickly and the pedals themselves don't release or spin as smoothly as Shimano.

I switched back to my Shimano SPDs on my mountain bike and Shimano SPD SLs on my road bike and have a nearly new set of EGGbeater SLs in my tool box.

For a new rider Shimano XT mountain bike pedals are a good starting pedal. They release easily, they are two sided so you can just step on them and go and you can use mountain bike shoes that allow the cleats to be recessed and allow you to walk around normally. I personally use them on my mountain bikes. My road bike has Ultegra SPD SL pedals and I love them -- but the cleats are large and definitely not walk or standing around friendly and can be slippery when you're tired and a little lazy when stopping at stop lights.

mbb
mattbikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote