View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My understanding is that the best way to lose weight and get in shape is some sort of areobic exercise which reminds me that I need to find a good road bike.
There is no better way to lose weight than a combination of lifting and diet with cardio thrown in. Weight lifting burns more fat than a cardio session but must be follwed up with proper diet. I have not found a better way to cut weight than the Body for Life routine which is basically the "cutting" phase of most bodybuilders. You lift 3X per week and do cardio for 30 minutes 3X per week. In addition you eat 6 meals per day but these are smaller meals ( a protein approx. size of your fist and a carb approx size of your palm). You will lose 2 pounds a week. I cut 30 pounds and dropped my body fat from 26% (horrible I know) to 13%. My wife dropped 70 pounds doing the same program after her last baby. She is currently at 10% bodyfat. She lifts VERY hard.

The only way to gain weight from lifting is to EAT and EAT More. After I dropped all that fat, I wanted to add muscle. So I did the 6 meals a day but made them all much larger. I still ate clean. I went from 179 (I'm a shade over 6' 1") to 195 over 6 months and my bodyfat actually dropped. I'm now up to 205, but stopped eating clean and I'd bet most of the last 10 pounds is fat. I need to start eating right again.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote