View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #74
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
"House" is one of the very few shows that I watch every week, so perhaps I can provide some perspective.

The main character, Dr. House, is an obnoxious atheist misanthrope who is constantly doing things that are illegal and unethical in order to benefit his patients. The basic idea behind his character is that he probably cares about his patients, but that his motivation for being such an excellent doctor is personal pride more than anything. Some atheists think this show is a coup for raising awareness for atheism, while some see it as an affront, as Dr. House embodies the inaccurate stereotypes that many people have of atheists. I just think it's a good show and think he's an interesting character, so I don't mind either way.

Cole, the Mormon character on the show, if anything represents a coup for mormon awareness. Sure, House throws some pretty funny and stereotypical insults at him, but Cole stands his ground, proves that the well being of others is more important to him than some of the more trivial Mormon practices, is black, is an unmarried father, and just an all-around regular, non-fanatical person.

In the last episode, he even punched House in the face in response to one of his insults, which I'm sure a lot of Mormon viewers cheered at.

The deseret news article is the result of a small mind.
I like House's character. He makes me laugh and I am jealous that I don't have a venue where I can insult people, be crude and generally just be an asshole for my own entertainment.

I also like the Mormon character. I saw the episode you cite and did not understand why he slugged House. House merely indicated that Joseph Smith enjoyed female companionship and any analysis of the history certainly gives creedance to such a claim.

Regardless, while I am a redneck rural Mormon fundie. I like depictions of black Mormon doctors as well as Democratic Majority Leaders. It is good for the world to see that we are all types.

Mostly I like that getting falsies is the rage of the Wasatch Front. Oh ye Mountains High!