View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Creekster is more technical than I

and I agree with most everything he wrote.

Perhaps I don't articulate myself when I discuss aluminum frame breakdown. Now I'm only relating what heavier riders relate to me. For example, in crit riding, riders like a frame that converts all energy to wheels with verylittle flex. I am told that aluminum loses its spunk after a few seasons. That's the breakdown I was discussing.

I have heard about the internal spring breakdown for Shimano, but the cost is so minimal there, you just replace it; whereas Campy is modular, breaks down more often, so you need to be able to replace.

If price were no object, I'd go with Campy Record group, as it's the prettiest and geekiest set up. You will also want to know on what setups your local shop likes to work on, unless you intend to become the bike mechanic.

As Creekster says, it's what gets you out there that matters, and fit is most important. You will need to adjust as you become more proficient in riding. Factors to consider will be measurements of your legs, your torso, your arms and your flexibility, or lack thereof.