View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #52
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
What if a presient pardoned all crimes ever committed in America, as well as all future crimes ever committed in America?

Would that be constitutional?

I think SCOTUS would rule that the pardon has to be for a specific person for a specific crime. With submitted paperwork. And all signatures attached.
Look, this isn't an argument to be had in a vacuum. Pardons have been issued in the past for unidentified crimes, and they seem to be perfectly legal (based on case law).

Here is the text of Ford's pardon of Nixon, for example:

"Now, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States, pursuant to the pardon power conferred upon me by Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution, have granted and by these presents do grant a full, free, and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from January 20, 1969 through August 9,1974."

Pretty darn broad. I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see something similar for Cheney, Rice, even Bush himself. Bush pardoning himself is a bit less necessary, as the courts already give him a healthy dose of immunity for official acts undertaken while in office. He may view it as a belt and suspenders kind of deal, though.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote