View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #50
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The social imprimiture of marriage helps to legitimatize and destigmatize their lifestyle. I believe legalization of marriage would have that effect. I was only making the case why, in my view, the choice issue is outcome determinative on the question of whether they deserve to be legitimatized and destigmatized.

If you accept that being gay is not a choice and my premise of the importance of romantic love and assoiated sexual intimacy to human happiness and well being, and still oppose gay marriage, you are making a value judgment that their form of romantic love ought to be stigmatized, treated as illegitimate and inferior. Indeed, that they as people don't desrve the same status and dignity that you, a heterosexual, deserve.

Cardiac's point is that of course if your religion tells you being gay is a sin and people will be punished in the hereafter for it, you will want gays to be stigmatized and treated publically as inferior people. I understand that.
I have no interest in doing anything to their intimate relationships. Perhpas they feel stigmatized by the inability to be married (as opposed to be a civil union, or to have most finaicial benefits of marriage, all of which they can already do in California). Their interst is to require full equivalence in all respects by law. I do not agree with that notion, as you correctly but hyperbolically point out. I suspect we understadn each other fully, but that you insist on pumping out so many wild-eyed statemnts that are not supported by your own beleifs (e.g. the ONLY way to have an intimate relationship) suggest you are only trying to amuse yourself or trying to mislead with rhetoric, neither of which seems very helpful to the matter.