Thread: UFC vs Pride
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've watched snippets from a couple of UFC/Pride fights now, and I've seen maybe one kick. Kicking is worthless.

You see rather average punching from Liddell also (by boxing standards). He's muscle bound, which may serve him in wrestling (??), but wouldn't serve him in boxing. Didn't see any impressive combinations.

Gatti is not a very good boxer. Just an entertaining boxer. Someone like Liddell could not box with Mayweather. Mayweather would come in with combinations and destroy him, and avoid every single punch by Liddell.

Additionally, boxers can take more punishment that most mixed martials arts guys. They've been training all their lives to take punishment.

On a side note, my friend tells me that boxing causes more brain damage than fighting without gloves. The gloves cause an energy transfer that creates more brain movement. Whereas a hand without a glove causes more local damage, but less brain movement (brain mvmt is bad, because the brain hits the inner skull).

Here's a question: how do poor boxers do when they go into the UFC/Pride? Butterbean for example.
Butterbean went against a lousy wrestler and won in Pride, but the level of competition was nothing. Up until he dove into an upper cut, Butterbean was being pummeled.