View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #38
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
This is really choice, SU. I never had a higher opinion of attorneys (or Utes) so my world fortunately remains unshattered.

What the hell did I have to say about human health? Did I actually say this was healthy for kids? I was arguing where the standard for neglect lies, not whether it good for your kids to bake them in the car. Surely, your brilliant analytical skills and high IQ could grasp that. But maybe you work on a whole different level that dumb ol' me just can't quite understand.

My personal experience in raising children, as well as the experience of a number of others both on and off this board, would argue for some leniency here, as many of us have made mistakes that, in the wrong set of circumstances, may have been lethal. I would point out that the legal system, set up by your fellow brilliant attorneys, with their high IQs and brilliant "analogization" skills, with much more information than either of us have, has agreed with me. But maybe they too represent the "lunatic fringe". Would not be the first time I've considered lawyers to be in that group.

I would guarantee that I spend far more time working with cases of true abuse and neglect than you do. But really, I'm happy to hear the opinions of the ivory tower, with your two-income family, your nanny, and your chef-prepared meals, of what the standard for parenting should be.

So preach on...
They usually do get leniency, where the facts warrant leniency, for the reasons you said. The story here is a case in point. But as a matter of law and public policy this should be a crime and subject to criminal prosecution, as it is.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote