View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #213
pittsburghcoug

pittsburghcoug is on a distinguished road
Default In addition....

The Church was very cooperative during the research and publication processes for Brother Bushman's book. That in and of itself is a remarkable breakthrough. He had total access to Church documents and resources. His book is also sold in Deseret Book. Perhaps, if scholars like Quinn and others who have been excommunicated would have operated under this paradigm, they would still be members in good standing. President Hinckley has changed the culture of the Church in more ways than we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghcoug View Post
You will not find a more spiritual or more devout member of the Church, unless it is President Hinckley. The one thing I can emphatically state about Brother Bushman is his sense of honor and honesty. If he wrote it in his book, it means that he did enough research to believe it to be true. His aim was not to destroy testimony by writing "Rough Stone Rolling" but to write an honest biography of Joseph Smith from a believer's perspective. The outcome is spectacular.

Tex, tread carefully in areas in which you do not have a lot of experience or knowledge. Did you know that Brother Bushman is the patriarch of the New York City stake and a former stake president? He is a very honorable man. If you have problems with what he has written, then I feel sorry for you. The facts are clear to me...Joseph did practice polyandry, and I personally think he went too far with the revelation. Does that diminish my testimony of him? No, it is easy to throw jabs from our 20/20 perspective.
pittsburghcoug is offline   Reply With Quote