View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #62
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, the elections of 2000 and 2004 were not "contested" elections by the definition we're using here. I'm amazed "if you are being honest" that you'd even bring them up. I don't remember the last time the Democrat party had a nomination contest last throughout the entire primary season, but it wasn't those.

I don't disagree that Democrat turnout is generally higher, the contest notwithstanding. The current political climate lends itself to that. But if Democrat turnout in November (or voter turnout in general) greatly exceeds the '04 turnout (as a percentage of the population) I will be surprised, and I expect it to be less. I think 2004 saw the greatest voter turnout since 1968.

And I still don't see why we're bringing Republican turnout into this debate. As far as my argument is concerned, it has nothing to do with them.
I am not talking about every single primary. I am talking about the early primaries that WERE contested. And if you are being honest, you know as well as I do that Kerry was NOT the favorite early on. You are wanting to claim that the entire turnout right now is due to the existence of a contested election. It just isn't. Check Iowa in 2000 and 2004 (or any other year in history for that matter) and compare it to 2008. Do the same with New Hampshire and South Carolina and Nevada's caucuses. Get back to me. You know exactly what I am saying, and you are willfully ignoring it (no surprise). I will bet you money that 2008 turnout is higher than 2004 (or any other year in history). People are energized. People other than your people, that is.

And we are bringing Republicans in because MY explanation for the high turnout is that it is due to energy on the Dem side in opposition to Republicans. If it was a simple function of there being a contested race, then the Republicans would have also seen an equivalent turnout in their contested primaries (through Florida) as the Democrats. They didn't see even close to the same turnout because the contested election isn't the reason people are voting in droves (like you want it to be). Again, check Michigan and Florida where the election wasn't contested at all (and where the votes literally didn't matter at all) and compare to 2000 and 2004.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote