Old 03-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #14
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
I am not going to be the slightest bit optimistic about BYUs chances against yewtah in any game in fb or bb ever again.

That pretty much sums it up for me.
is anyone surprised?

im not.....they got rolled a month ago but a crappy team at the huntman center and they have been playing with fire all year long it was bound to catch up to them...

they are not your typical 20 win, 12 win conference team, they are more on the level of a .500 team who had its up and downs in conference play.....

unfortunately utah is every bit as good as byu is this year, difference is the ball bounced byus way this year and didnt for utah.....

i wouldnt be surprised if utah makes a run and gets the auto bid, it might actually be good for the conference as that might be the only way the mwc gets 2 teams in....
I, for one, am not surprised. I've seen this movie too many times before. BYU playing like world beaters until they play utah. utah comes out with the red hot intensity of 10,000 suns and BYU comes out playing like they just got back from Chuck-O-Rama. BYU loses. Repeat.

I have a theory why this happens, or at least why it happens easily to BYU: The rivalry exists mainly between the two fan bases. The yewts sports teams seem to have a much greater connection to their fan base(for whatever reason) than BYU does to theirs so they can plug into the flaming hatred that yewts have for BYU. BYU cannot, for some reason, do this with their fan base and the teams just don't feel the same contempt for the yewts that the yewts do for them. And there is the disparity in preparation and intensity.

I think its a bit unfair to characterize the difference between the two teams records as 'just the way the ball bounces(except maybe for the first tcu game).' The difference has been the way BYU has been able to execute down the stretch and utah hasn't. Until last night, anyways. See above.