Thread: tv wiring
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks gang.
The equipment we have is: dvr, dvd, surround sound receiver, vcr. The plan is to build built-ins on either side of the fireplace and hang the tv above the mantle. So, I want to run all the wires behind things. I was hoping to find some kind of panel that I can mount in the back of the shelving unit. Something to plug the various video cables to the TV ports and the speaker wires. Then, another panel to mount behind the tv w/ the inputs to plug into the tv.
Mr. Google is not finding me such things, but maybe they have a particular name.... ?
But, I like the pvc pipe option if I can't find such a thing.
Are there any super neat gizmos coming down the pike that I should consider before covering up all my wiring routes?

Or maybe I should just go w/ IPU's hi-techaroni.
The closest thing I've ever found to what you're talking about is called 'Rapid Run'. I considered doing this, but decided it would be more economical to just buy a new entertainment center.

You can also find in-wall components with wall-jack type accessories simply by googling "in-wall component video cable".

I highly recommend you plan for the future, and include a hookup for a Blu-ray player. You could always throw a couple extra cables behind the paneling as well, to ensure you're prepared.

In interesting discussion is whether you should plan for component or HDMI for the blu-ray. I've read a bit on this subject, and it's not at all clear which will work better...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote