View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Have you had his ears checked? My son was in the same boat. Turns out he needed tubes to drain the gunk out of his eardrums (had to have them twice.) He showed no signs of chronic ear infections prior to them figuring out what was going on.

It's taken a little catching up, but at nearly seven his speech is fine now.

At his two-year check up, the doctor checked his ears and everything was fine. I am hoping it is something like that. My wife's been with the boys at home for a nice long summer vacation, but we have a doctor's visit planned when she gets back next week. SU, the doctor didn't seem particularly concerned and just told us to monitor his speech. But 6 months for a two-year old with not a single word is a long time.

My son has always been very shy. When he was a six-month year old, he would turn his head away shyly and snuggle into our arms when anybody smiled at him. At 18 months, whenever somebody would talk to him on the playground, he'd run over and plant his head in our laps. At two, when my brother gave him a little tease, he dropped to the ground and planted his face. When he hasn't seen me after a few days being gone on business or whatever, he gets a shy face and turns away. And he's never been a noise-maker. He was just a very sweet, very quiet little boy. My theory has been that he is extra shy and does not try to assert himself by trying to talk; a personality thing. But I'm thinking that belief may have been silly on my part and perhaps motivated by how much I adore his shy sweetness.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote