Thread: The Departed
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #40
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Don't you think a lack of evangelizing is inherent in the system in liberal protestantism? They don't evangelize because their pastors don't demand much from them.
I don't think so. I think they don't proselyte because they've put so much effort into ecumenism (at least on the insitutional level), and that emphasis has shifted their thinking on missionary work. But they're often involved in any number of projects. Methodists run lots of soup kitchens and shelters. Presbyterians do service missions and donate supplies to places like Haiti. The liberal black churches are doing some of the best work in inner city America. Mainline protestants do more than they usually get credit for.

Not every member of the congregation is involved in these activities, but the idea that they just sit there fat and happy in the pews isn't accurate. Plenty have a strong work ethic when it comes to their religious lives, they've just channeled it elsewhere.

BTW, I like the little exchange we're having on this.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote