View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM   #24
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
[I]t seems (as Santos initially suggested) that the institutional efforts of the LDS church and its administration may have been the difference. This discourages me.
I got a slightly different perspective on that last night at the campaign victory party. The LDS Church was not driving this effort. The Catholics started last December and did all the hard work of gathering signatures for the petitions, raising funds, etc. We jumped in after the Supreme Court decision -- about July, I think. It is undeniable that the effort would not have succeeded without Mormon money and organizational help. But we were undeniably part of a coalition. It would not have passed without us, but it wold not have passed without the Catholics or the Evangelicals. We were not leading the charge.

Also, and although some here will undeniably snark here about this, the Church does this kind of thing very rarely in modern times. This was seen as a moral issue. I don't think the Church can be expected to stay out of such matters.