View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't push back against the original Mormonism of the prophet, seer, and revelator Joseph Smith. If there is such thing as gnostic Mormonism, I would be an adherent. I am the anti-Jay Santos.
So all other latter-day prophets are fair game, but JS is off-limits somehow? That doesn't strike you as inconsistent?

Quote:
Better to contrast the outrage of the average Mormon when someone like me says racism existed and was the source, compared to the absolute lack of any anger at all when Romney criticizes a fundamental aspect of Mormonism contained in the D&C.
But your desire to express outrage at institutional racism requires a climate wherein heterodox views can be freely expressed. And where we can accept a multitude of viewpoints without feeling threatened. I.e., a "big tent" church. It seems to me that a proponent of such an idea would be last one to criticize Mitt for being non-orthodox regarding polygamy.

Quote:
Mainstreaming will not help gain converts. That is what many don't understand.
I'll take that as your opinion. I am not so sure I agree.

Of course, if you are honest, you will acknowledge the abandonment of polygamy and extending the priesthood to blacks as the two most significant "mainstreaming" events in LDS history.