View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Seriously though, you hear fewer cases of elite level cyclists transitioning into an elite level in another sports.

The opposite is often true. Consider Eric Heiden, for one. Gold medal in speed skating, decides to get a pair and becomes an elite cyclist. I've seen other examples of elite runners becoming good cyclists as well.

But for some reason, the opposite is not always true.
I think you see no transition because once one's down with cycling, you're too old and not built for anyting else, whereas other sports leave one time to develop in other sports such as cycling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Those that take up other sports seem more often than not to do it for cross training in the cycling off-season. Running and cross country skiing seem to be most guys favorite here. A couple of guys on Discovery play hoops in the off season to stay in shape.

Archaea, who makes the best triathletes? Swimmers, bikers or runners? My guess, being a poor swimmer, is that swimmers have a distinct advantage, at least at recreational levels. At higher levels, I would guess you can probably win a race more with the bike than the other events. What do you think?
Best triathletes are runners.

Swimmers get you started, cyclists can win it, but usually just keep you in it, but a runner who's a good cyclist wins. You need to be fit enough so that the bike doesn't tank the run, but a runner at heart. I was an adequate runner eons ago, but knee problems have slowed my enthusiasm and fitness therein. Now, I need to buckle down and train running.