View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
But I think your expectations for Iraq's ability to govern itself are too high. This democracy thing is new. Many people involved in the new government have spent years doing things Saddam's way.
I agree with this sentiment. Establishing an effective bureacracy with proper oversights is difficult, even for the older nations. Inneficiency, waste, and corruption will always be problems for governments.

In this case, I was sickened by the treatment of the orphans, but I don't know all the facts involved so I won't condemn the entire Iraqi government. It appears to be a situation where corruption/apathy/incompetence was occuring at the lowest level and proper oversights were not in place. This happens in a bureacracy. It's wrong, but it happens. Hopefully the government will fix the problem and the situation will be remedied.

I am encouraged by the outrage that appears to be occuring because of this. One of the articles you posted mention Iraqi's who were disgusted by the treatment of orphans. If there were no outrage, I would be much more concerned.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote