View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
So my credit card was denied at Walmart today. I called my credit card company thinking perhaps it had something to do with an online purchase I made last night and that all I would have to do was verify the purchase and my account would work again. No, it was because of some purchase made in Italy, another in London and a few on Napster. None of these were mine. So I had to close the account and file a fraud claim. I have no clue who has my card number or how they got it and I am wondering what else I should be doing to protect myself? Could this person have other information about me or have access to my other accounts? Would I be better off without a credit card altogether?

Do any of you have experience with this situation and advice you can offer me?

Thanks!
Sorry to hear that, it would really tick me off.

The bank I have a Visa with has a service (free!) that will send me an email if more than X amount is charged in a single transaction or if more than Y amount is charge in a single day. The cardholder can set the level of X and Y. You can optionally have it send you a text mesg to your cell. This is set-up via their online account access service. This would help you stop the bleeding faster. I don't think anything is 100% foolproof for stopping the card theft except maybe not using the card at all. Even at a restaurant someone could copy all the info on your card and make a phone or online transaction.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote