View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Try this, don't run the 8:30 pace, but start off very slowly. In a race, it's okay to sprint then fade, but not for general training. That's counterproductive.
I wouldn't say the 8:30 pace is sprinting for me, it is just not a pace that I can currently maintain for longer than say a half mile. At that point I trail off.

Quote:
Start with three days and expand to four days once you determine how your body responds.

First things first, find good fitting shoes.

Do different runs, not the same one every day.
The different routes should be easy to accomplish. I may set up a schedule where on Mondays I try for a 5k type run, Thursdays I do a shorter 1.5-2 mile "speed" type run, and then Saturdays go for a longer run, in the 5 mile range for now and increase it. If my body is able to do this without too much stress, I'd add in another run on Tuesday most likely.

Quote:
Second, examine your form. Are you setting your feet down gently? How are you running? Are your arms relaxed?
I don't know that I could answer that question. My arms are fairly relaxed, but I don't know the slightest about stride or how hard I am setting my feet down. Do good running stores know how to answer these questions and, tying into an earlier point, would they be able to help me find good shoes for me? (If so, any recommendations?)

Quote:
For you, you need consistency, and wise running. Listen to the ligaments, the knees, and the hips and focus upon getting stronger wisely over time.
Sounds like a plan. My feet and legs are a bit sore today, not too bad, but the type of sore when they haven't been used in a while. I'll take tomorrow off before I go for it again on Thursday.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote