View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I'll probably end up running about 3-4 times a week. Probably a Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday schedule, although I could easily add in Wednesday.

Right now I'm just getting started again. Last year I ran anywhere from 2-5 miles about 4 times a week. I know what I've been able to do previously, and I am not an endurance runner at all. Right now when I run, I start off at a pace in the 8:30 mile range and run and that pace for around a half mile. My legs get a bit sore, so I usually slow the pace back down to around a 10:30 mile or walk for a bit, then go again. Maybe I should clarify that I 'jog" and don't "run".

From Steel and Arch's advise though, it sounds like my best bet is going to be to get back to a point where I can go the full 3-4 miles at a consistent pace, and then have a workout or two a week where I go longer, and another one where I focus more on "bursts" or shorter, quicker runs. That will be good for me, I just need to get into the routine and figure out where I'll be making my runs at.

Try this, don't run the 8:30 pace, but start off very slowly. In a race, it's okay to sprint then fade, but not for general training. That's counterproductive.

Start with three days and expand to four days once you determine how your body responds.

First things first, find good fitting shoes.

Do different runs, not the same one every day.

Second, examine your form. Are you setting your feet down gently? How are you running? Are your arms relaxed?

Find some partners. Many people fare better if they have to be there to meet others. I run alone much of the time but many people don't favor that approach. During speed work, you'll need others to push you. At least I do.

More running is not always better. I can run a marathon, albeit not always record pace, on three runs per week. I have one tempo/brick day, one speed day and one long day. So just adding runs is not necessary.

For you, you need consistency, and wise running. Listen to the ligaments, the knees, and the hips and focus upon getting stronger wisely over time.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-20-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote