View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Now isn't really the time to worry about your speed. IMO, you want to go out and build up some base miles at whatever pace is comfortable for you. Your heart/lungs will begin to respond first, becoming comfortable with increasingly long runs. Beware though that your legs will need more babying and it's very easy to get hurt at first, especially when you're feeling like you have increased endurance. Try to up your weekly distance by only 10%.

After you've put in some good base miles and you've increased your run distances to say 3 or 4 miles a pop you can start working on speed. I saw a decent increase in speed when I did 1 speed workout/wk. I would typically run a 5k at the fastest possible pace I could. This usually left me wanting to vomit. The other speed workout I do is to run intervals of about .25 miles at top speed several times during an otherwise normal run. In addition to that speed workout I did another run during the week of 6 or 7 miles at a slightly less than comfortable but very doable pace and then a Saturday LSD (long slow distance) run of 9-13 miles at a very comfortable pace. Beware that speedwork seems to make one vulnerable to injury. My experience has been that most of my injuries have occurred on speedwork days.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 05-20-2008 at 04:55 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote