View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #92
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I don't think really orthodox mormons believe the Church is infallible. I think they believe that the responsibility of Church Membership is to support the Church, whether right or wrong. That the test is one of loyalty and obedience.

They define sustaining leadership as doing what it asks. That doesn't mean that you can't disagree, protest or whine like Utenation after yet another close loss to the BYU. Sustaining doesn't connote agree with the decisions but rather to do as they ask -- even if it wars against one's private opinions.
I agree that this is what people think. But that is not what the statement I quoted said. The only reasonable reading of that quote, to me, is that either all counsel is from God or the church is a fraud. That was the point being made. I know that no one actually thinks that (well very few) which is why I wish such things wouldn't be said.

I certainly do respect the notion that it is an act of faith and a show of devotion to God to do something that conflicts with ones conscience because it is asked. I also perceive my own weakness because I know in my heart that I would suffer condemnation before I would do some of the things that have been required of others.