Thread: Excommunication
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I would probably agree with you, but it is what those in charge think works. I would say 90% of LDS people are into forgiveness. Watch the sinners who recognize their sin and ask for forgiveness. They are almost rock stars at church. Why, I don't know.

Try not going to church for 6 months and then show up. See if you ever have had so many people come up to you with a huge smile and say they really glad to see you.

Most of this I believe is very sincere, but some of it is programmed into us.

On the other hand, those in charge have a dual role. They want members to feel they can sin and come back and be forgiven, they actually want them too. On the other hand they don't want members thinking at decision time that there aren't serious consequences for bad behavior.

When these issues become highly public, that is when the PR part comes in. Anyone knows PR and image plays a big role in what happens with the HC and discipline.
I think I agree with you. I don't agree with the thought that it's the leader's job to show there are consequences to bad behavior (but I don't think that's your personal opinion). The real consequences have nothing to do with excommunication.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote