View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I don't think Reagan was excluding direct communication with evil empires the way Bush has. Reagan would talk tough, but he would talk. We can be firm and even threatening while still communicating with crazy leaders. I don't think Obama is suggesting that we take military options off the table.

I don't think Reagan ever would have invaded Iraq. He could have invaded Libya and started a war. Instead, Reagan decided to do something strategic to scare the crap out of Gaddafi.

We could have stepped up airstrikes in Iraq without bringing in the ground troops. Reagan and Bush 41 didn't take big military risks the way Bush 43 has.

I think Obama is suggesting that he would adopt a more Reaganish foreign policy. Even if he isn't, that's the way he should sell it.
I agree with your comments about Reagan. But like Archaea, I don't believe that Obama is close to Reagan in this regard. Reagan didn't talk to Qadafi - he ordered the air strikes and let Qadafi know what happens when you do something to piss of the US. Obama wants to sit down with those of the same ilk and talk. That won't work, as guys like Qadafi, Ahmadinejad etc. only understand one thing - an ass kicking like never before.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote