View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #13
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I couldn't disagree more. If there were a safe vaccine for HPV, and you refused to allow your daughter to be vaccinated because you didn't like the implication that your daughter might be having sex, then you are an irresponsible parent. No one wants to think their little Suzy is going to have sex, but teenage girls have sex. And at an alarming rate. If you leave it up to the parents, many will opt not to have their children vaccinated, because they don't like the implication. Sometimes children need to saved from the foolishness of their parents.
I know very well that girls are having sex. My best friend in junior high starting having sex at 13. I also know very well that a lot of girls are not having sex. I had plenty of friends that waited until after high school. Will my daughter receive the vaccine? I don't know, but that is a decision I would like to make, not one that I want made for me.

Also, why just girls? As Farrah noted HPV can cause anal and penial cancer. Plus, carrier boys would be spreading the disease to the girls. If there is going to be the requirement at all, then have it be for boys too.