View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My advice:

don't get a mountain bike. they are inherently slow even with bald wheels. It's not satisfying to go slow and be passed by grandmas walking their dogs.

your ass is going to hurt no matter what. get good shorts and take it slowly at first, and don't give up if your ass feels like you were stuck in a phone booth with Richard Simmons.

Creekster's advice is for rich people. He assumes you are rich. I know better. I say get a solid bike with non-fancy wheels, preferably steel frame, wheels with a lot of spokes. If the spokes start breaking, then go to plan B. But you'll probably be fine.
I was actually leaning towards mountain bike anyway as one thing we wanted to do anyway was get mtn. bikes. for my wife and I so we can take them with us when we go RV'ing. Wouldnt do any hardcore offroad stuff but a lot of the place we go are dirt/gravel roads, etc.

It looks like the Cannondale on Craig's list has been listed multiple times and he keeps dropping the price. I'm leaning that way ... try to get it for $300 or so. If I get into it maybe I'll get a road bike later. Speed is the LEAST of my worries at this point.