View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My advice:

don't get a mountain bike. they are inherently slow even with bald wheels. It's not satisfying to go slow and be passed by grandmas walking their dogs.

your ass is going to hurt no matter what. get good shorts and take it slowly at first, and don't give up if your ass feels like you were stuck in a phone booth with Richard Simmons.

Creekster's advice is for rich people. He assumes you are rich. I know better. I say get a solid bike with non-fancy wheels, preferably steel frame, wheels with a lot of spokes. If the spokes start breaking, then go to plan B. But you'll probably be fine.
Ha. I am not rich. I do have experience being fat, however, and I am telling you that crappy whells are the weak spot. Most bike frames can deal with the extra weight but cheap wheels cannot. If you want to save coin, go ahead and get the cannie F400. Look carefully at the headshock, however, as they can be a little pricey to rebuild (note to MW: rich people don't care about the cost of rebuilding a head schock), so make sure it is in good shape. The stock wheels on an F400 will propbabyl be ok and if you are just riding on the road may be fine. But if they go out of true, take them to a good wheel builder, and you must find a good one, and then do what he says.

The thing is the cost of using a good wheel builde ris not much different from a bad whell builder. But some guys do a great job and others don't. A good one wil build you a wheel that will never give you problems. On my triple our wheel have carried me, my wife and my son and stuff on a rear rack and have never haf a problem becasue they were well built.