View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Joanna Brooks, Jana Riess. Two women on the front-lines, who aren't really in the crosshairs, but who knows, they could feel the sting of excommunication. Just depends on which direction the hardliners go and how empowered they are.

One might be able to make the argument that someone like Chieko Okazaki was a moderate that found her way to at least figurehead power (no formal power as a member of the RS general presidency).

If BYU loses out to the Big 12 over social issues, I think that could be a useful signpost. It's already stimulating a lot of conversation and debate. The question is whether it will cause reform or retrenchment.

Personally I'm frustrated with the pace of reform on this rape-gate honor code thing at BYU. They should have had some initial changes announced already. But what I take away from this is that the BYU president feels he has no power to make any kind of change on his own, and has just off-loaded this onto others--a committee. And he will just be a middle man, shuttling recommendations from the committee to the board.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote