View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #10
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Sorry I'm not being too clear.

The website, among other things, cites at length from John Tvetnes' book, The Book of Mormon and Other Hidden Books, in particular a chapter entitled "Hiding Records in Stone Boxes." Although I am laboring to secure a copy of Tvetnes' book, I do not yet have one, so I'm relying on this site.

At any rate, Tvetnes (through this site, at least) seems to claim that hiding records written on metal plates in boxes was commonly done in the ancient world, especially ancient Greece, therefore there is ancient precedent for the Book of Mormon story - something little ol' Joe Smith could have never known about. My gripe is that these hidden metal writings in Greece could just as easily be a modern impetus for the story of Mormon/Moroni. A parallel practice from Greece, several hundred years after Lehi is supposed to have left Jerusalem does not make a reputable case. That's all. I'm not openly trying to discredit the BoM; rather, I'm trying to discredit these kinds of apologetics.

It may not be all that big of a point to most - bag on these types of anachronistic historical comparanda - but I had to vent a little. (To me, at least), it's disingenuous by Tvetnes (if indeed he says what the website credits him with saying).

I agree with Indy (if indeed I'm not misunderstanding him). The debate on the BoM it's not about being able to verify BoM historicity. It's about people's personal convictions, based on spiritual belief/faith/whatever.